The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Damaged differential

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I could use some help from those who are experienced with differential work. I bought this car as a roller; one of the selling points was the T2R it came with. It was installed in the axle housing without a ring gear, I thought that was odd. I’m finally at the point where I can spend time getting it set up so I took the cover off and removed the carrier and the driver side carrier bearing slid right off. Frustration ensued. Is this Torsen FUBAR? I bought a new bearing and it also slides on by hand.

IMG_3847.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like the bearing spun and mangled the unit. If you go to a real bearing shop, they may make something called a " ready sleeve" that can be pressed on the ruined surface, and a bearing can be used. You might also find a shop that can weld that up and machine it down, otherwise, I'm afraid that carrier is toast.
That was also a BS move to put it in the car where it couldn't be inspected. You may want to burn that guy on social media. I wonder what else is screwed up?

Looks like the bearing spun and mangled the unit. If you go to a real bearing shop, they may make something called a " ready sleeve" that can be pressed on the ruined surface, and a bearing can be used. You might also find a shop that can weld that up and machine it down, otherwise, I'm afraid that carrier is toast.
That was also a BS move to put it in the car where it couldn't be inspected. You may want to burn that guy on social media. I wonder what else is screwed up?
Don’t get me started. This thing is like Swiss cheese between all the self tapping screws and holes drilled everywhere.

Are you located in Central Florida?
I might be tempted to repair that, but I need to be in the right mood.
I’m in PA, though I hope to move south one day. I’m sure I’ll still have it when I do.
Installed without a pinion is not a good sign. I wouldn't use it. Chalk it up to experience and take the loss.
Agreed. I think this will be my last time buying someone else’s junk lol.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen, I bought another axle assembly with a factory trak lok and 3.31’s that will work for now.

TMO Supporting Vendors