The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Thoughts on the new EBC RPX pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
With the high wear in the rear pads I assume you are with traction control?? Even Sport mode will chew them up very quickly. Once I turned TC off completely in a tune, the rear pads were a once a year change.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
PA
With the high wear in the rear pads I assume you are with traction control?? Even Sport mode will chew them up very quickly. Once I turned TC off completely in a tune, the rear pads were a once a year change.

No traction control. My car is an 05 so I don’t believe they have any of the nannys the coyote cars do. From my understanding the 05-06 traction control is even pretty dumbed down.
I’m going to talk to ebc and see if I can get a mu vs temp chart like they have for the RPX/RP1. My guess is I’m just getting them out of their temp range. I do start getting a longer pedal travel too as they get hot, but it never seems to increase stopping distance.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
PA
which brake fluid are you using? And do you have brake cooling ducts?
Wilwood EXP600+
We aren’t allowed to run cooling ducts. I have the 13-14 front shields sitting in my office but I haven’t gotten approval to use them. It’s a bit of a pain with it thing a new class and the scca trying to control things. The scca did a phone interview with me since I’ve been doing more track stuff with the car, so I’m hoping my opinions will hold more weight going forward.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
For the brake liquid. I would suggest you take a look at this table.

The Wet boiling point is the one to look at unless you change your brake fluid right before every event. Am a huge fan of Castrol SRF, its wet boiling point is 118 degrees higher then the Wilwood. It solved my soft pedals problems at the track. Its expensive, but you can change it once a year.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
PA
For the brake liquid. I would suggest you take a look at this table.

The Wet boiling point is the one to look at unless you change your brake fluid right before every event. Am a huge fan of Castrol SRF, its wet boiling point is 118 degrees higher then the Wilwood. It solved my soft pedals problems at the track. It’s expensive, but you can change it once a year.

Are you bleeding between events with the srf? If it’s a put it in a forget it for the season I’d consider it. I put the wilwood stuff in before VIR in March and then did a quick bleed after each event. Just enough to push out what was in the calipers. I did get a couple bubbles on the rear, I’m not sure if some slipped in with my speed bleeder or if it boiled the fluid.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Are you bleeding between events with the srf? If it’s a put it in a forget it for the season I’d consider it. I put the wilwood stuff in before VIR in March and then did a quick bleed after each event. Just enough to push out what was in the calipers. I did get a couple bubbles on the rear, I’m not sure if some slipped in with my speed bleeder or if it boiled the fluid.
To be honest no. SRF is just set and forget it. I just change it at the start of the season. I know people who have used it for two seasons but that's a bit much.

There is a reason way its so expensive per Liter! But it turns out cheaper then constant bleeding with a lesser fluid.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I always forget to figure in Madhatter's comments as I shut off all the " Nannies " and with them on it can cause more rapid rear brake pad usage. Good comment and something you and many others should consider.

Nannies can be good and bad..........they're there for you and your ride....choose what you feel you need.............I didn't need no nannies back in the day in my '68 442..good thing because none were there to be had..but back then I felt I was indestructible............now-a-days Hon has to check the mail......Boss still calling.....Knee still bad...........I'm still hopin for the best....I didn't mean hoppin, all tho it apples right now.

TMO Supporting Vendors